Week 11 Blog

 History, Trends, and Issues in HPT

I recognize how late I am in posting this blog, and I apologize to all my hordes of avid fans 😊.

I enjoyed the continued dive into the field of Human Performance Technology (HPT). While I admit that I was distracted from the reading by the finals that were happening in the class, my mind kept returning to the Pershing, Lee, and Cheng article on the current status of HPT (Pershing, Lee, & Cheng, 2008). I was impressed with the idea of an (almost) industry wide survey on the state of the profession. I was impressed that the authors were so transparent on what they considered the liabilities of the article were – I wish more authors were as reflective on their work. What most impressed me was, what I considered to be, the attempt of a “new” occupation to self-police and to prove itself and its worth to the community.

I enjoyed reading the quotes and observations from leaders in the field. It made me think – why don’t other organizations do this regularly? I do know that it does happen from time to time but never on a regular basis. I think that not only each profession would find results fascinating, but it would provide a great window to the general public on how that profession fits into the communities in which they practice.

Another piece I enjoyed, as I know so little about it, was the chapter on the Emergence of MOOCs authored by our fearless professor (Bonk, et al, 2018). It really seemed to be a “Dummies Guide” to MOOCs. I appreciated knowing the difference between a cMOOC, pMOOC, and xMOOC – although I am afraid that if they add any more letters I might lose track. I thought the guidelines for designing a MOOC was interesting (p254). It is almost a checklist for any corporate design consultation, in that it is all about retaining a participant.

I am looking forward to getting into ethics next week. Watch this space for what I hope will be a really ethical post!

 -Kevin

 

References:

Bonk, C. J., Lee. M. M., Reeves, T. C., & Reynolds, T. H. (2018). The emergence and design of massive open online courses. In R. A. Reiser & J. V. Dempsey (Eds.), Trends and issues in instructional design and technology (4th Ed.), (pp. 250-258). New York, NY: Pearson Education.

 Pershing, J. A., Lee, J. E., & Cheng, J. L. (2008). Current status, future trends, and issues in human performance technology, part 1: Influential domains, current status, and recognition of HPT. Performance Improvement, 47(1), 9-17.

Comments

  1. Kevin,

    I also enjoyed the article on MOOC. I am familiar with MOOC, but also know little about them. I have never participated in a MOOC. However, we are starting a partnership at my university with Coursera where we will embed industry certificates into our degree programs. While we will focus initially on certificate credentials, Coursera offers many courses. We will be taking online courses that already exist and adding in the Coursera certificate into our courses. I am looking forward to seeing the final course built.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,

    I also appreciated learning more about MOOCs. I have limited experience with them and know there is so much to learn about MOOCs. We should all probably take one so that we have hands-on experience with the course modality!

    As you stated, I was also really impressed with Pershing's survey of the HPT field including its liabilities. HPT continues to be an emerging field. I agree that the survey format was a great way to provide an overview of the current state of affairs.

    -Shanna Sanders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin, it is amazing how many articles there are about HPT. I think it gets lost as a field because of all of the synonymous names that are applied. Human Performance Improvement I can understand quickly about what the goal of the field is. When I put technology on the end, I feel that I am improving the method not what the method is intending to improve. I like the idea of MOOCs also. Maybe this could be used at high school level to provide college credit for free for subjects that are general requirements. I would have loved to have challenged myself and get valuable credit during summer break when I was in high school. At the time, my school did not have college options for junior and senior year in which you could take college courses and get high school credit.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Blog

Week 1A Blog

Week 7 Blog