Week 13 Blog

 More Career and PD Discussion, Personal Explorations, and Final Projects

 

I thought this week’s reads were actually fun. I have enjoyed the journey through topics and have appreciation that the final topic is finding fulfilling employment in the field.
 
I was surprised to find a new term this week. Psychological income, “the inspiration to thrive” (Gabrielli, Branson, 2012, p264). I have always considered as part of the job the responsibility to devote my energies and to be loyal, and I have been cognizant that I should at least find some redeeming value in the work, but I have never actively considered emotional income to be “a thing”. I think I am going to still have to think on it some more.
 
I respect TV personality Mike Rowe. I like that he has a common-sense approach to living and careers. I am constantly reminded of his quote, “don't waste another year looking for a career that doesn't exist. And most of all, stop worrying about your happiness. Happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that's consistent with those beliefs” (Martin, 2014). The reminders come as I counsel individuals in my congregation regarding their employment. Having a job one loves is great, having a job that pays the bills is better, if the job that pays the bills is also one that you love – that is perfect, but staying in a job you love that prevents you from paying the bills is foolhardy, irresponsible and selfish.
 
In rereading the above it sounds like I hate my job and the world around me… 😊. That is not the case. I do guess that one has to consider the psychological income from a job, but, in my mind, it should not be an over-riding factor to the extent the article makes it out to be.
 
I also found great wisdom in the Kim article on PhDs (Kim, 2018). I have always personally found it odd that people feel that PhDs are so much more knowledgeable about EVERYTHING in life. Have a quest about anything? Ask a PhD. They will know. This is just not true. Ask them about something in their field and you will be well served. Outside their field – chances drop significantly. I agree with the article. If I were looking for a position to fill, I would snatch up someone with an associates dree in that filed before I would even look at a PhD from outside the field. Can the PhD learn the task – of course. If they got a PhD in anything, then they know how to learn. But I’m sure the Associates would be ready to work on day one, the PhD? Not so much.
 
-Kevin
 
 
 
References:
Gabrielli, G. K., & Branson, R. K. (2012). Getting a job in business and industry. In R. A. Reiser & J. V. Dempsey (Eds.), Trends and issues in instructional design and technology (3rd ed.) (pp. 263-272). Boston, MA: Pearson Education, Inc.

Kim, Joshua (2018, June 6). A traditional Ph.D. does not an instructional designer make,
Inside Higher Ed, https://www.insidehighered.com/digital-learning/blogs/technology-and-learning/traditional-phd-does-not-instructional-designer-make

Martin, E. (2014, October 17). 'dirty jobs' host Mike Rowe: Give up on Finding your dream job. Business Insider. Retrieved November 15, 2021, from https://www.businessinsider.com/give-up-on-finding-your-dream-job-2014-10.

Comments

  1. Kevin, I too found the psychological income aspect interesting. It is funny though. I have also heard to make sure your passion can make you money to survive. Inspired but broke or bored and thriving. IST is an inspiring field. Prior to researching ED.D. programs, I had never heard of IST. I have thought about the concepts, though, over the years with the frustrations of my children's learning and standardized testing. I pictured a student-centered approach that would motivate my children to want to learn.

    My other interest was with the business world and how disconnected training can be with the needs of the employees. Most training benefits the mandatory requirements that may affect organizational image. I am trying to change it slowly in my team and expand to the rest of the department. So this passion lead me to this program that I want to integrate into my current occupation.

    I agree with your Ph. D. statements. I think it takes years to become an expert in a field as a Ph. D. Some programs require years of experience just to enter a program and you must have an masters before applying. I have seen plenty of students go from undergrad degree into doctoral program without any true experience. My thoughts are that Ph. D. is more for those who want to teach at a college level or conduct research in an educational setting. There is a decision that has to be made earlier enough in a person's career to want to get a Ph. D. since it is four to six years of little income and dedication to learning, conduct research and teaching.

    Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kevin,

    You provided a multitude of important insights in your blog post this week! I, too, loved that our final week of readings focused on our careers within the IST field. I appreciated learning of the term "psychological income" as well. It is important to find work that you enjoy, find fulfilling, and pays the bills. It is also important to realize that no job will always be fulfilling and will never cause annoyances. I am glad we are getting away from the idea that careers must be something that we are always passionate about as that does such a disservice to finding a fulfilling career. Instructional design and technology has been the career that I have found the most fulfilling in all aspects of my life.

    -Shanna Sanders

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin,

    Great quote to end on “happiness does not come from a job. It comes from knowing what you truly value, and behaving in a way that's consistent with those beliefs” (Martin, 2014). I could not agree more. I love my job and I love it because I am passionate about education, enjoy the day-to-day responsibilities, and I have an absolutely amazing team! I am lucky enough to fall into the bucket of a job that pays the bills and a job that I love. However, you make some great points about psychological income.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Week 2 Blog

Week 1A Blog

Week 7 Blog